We are thrilled to have a new member of the Frenzy family. Kelly Johnson, a recruiter for the US Coast Guard, has teamed up with the Frenzy and will be bringing some of his own team with him. This year, the aid station at Ridge Road and Five Mile Gulch (miles 11.5 and 13.5) will be the USCG station. 2015 marks the 225th anniversary of the USCG, and we are honored that they have decided to join the Frenzy family.
For the past 4 years, we have been so fortunate to have two super aid station captains up on Ridge Road – first Mike Blessing and then Wayne Ebenroth. Mike took a couple of years off to run the Frenzy, and Wayne is “retiring” as AS captain to focus on his leadership of Final Kick Events. Mike will be taking over the duties at the Three Bears station while AS captain Emily Berriochoa is out of the country. Five-year Frenzy AS captain, Jerry Garcia, will be returning to his station at Rocky Canyon Road and Orchard Gulch (18 miles). We’re finalizing the other stations and will be reporting on those stations as soon as we have more details.
For those of you who are unfamiliar with the duties of the US Coast Guard, the USCG is a unique branch of the military responsible for an array of maritime duties, from ensuring safe and lawful commerce to performing rescue missions in severe conditions. Nearly 42,000 men and women are actively serving in the Coast Guard to defend America’s borders and protect the maritime environment.
On an average day, the Coast Guard:
- Conducts 48 search and rescue cases
- Saves 9 lives
- Assists 73 people in distress
- Saves over $132,000 in property
- Seizes 297 pounds of marijuana and 549 pounds of cocaine worth $8.2 million
- Services 134 buoys and fixed aids to navigation
- Interdicts 6 illegal migrants
- Conducts 24 security boardings in and around U.S. ports
- Escorts 5 high-capacity passenger vessels
- Conducts 54 waterborne patrols of critical maritime infrastructure
- Investigates 24 pollution incidents
- Inspects 127 vessels, containers and marine facilities
- Issues 173 credentials to merchant mariners
- Facilitates movement of $8.7 billion worth of goods and commodities through the Nations marine transportation system.
If you would like to volunteer at the Frenzy this year, please send an email to jenny@foothills50Kfrenzy.com, and we can certainly find a spot that’s right for you.