Thank you for registering to run the 2017 Foothills 50K Frenzy! The race is less than a week away. Please read this carefully as it contains important event information.
VERY IMPORTANT TRAFFIC / PARKING INFORMATION: There is A LOT of construction going on around St. Luke’s near our start / finish line. You will need to come via Washington or Fort Street. Washington turns into Robbins when you cross Fort St. You will come into the park on Robbins and then take a RIGHT at the end of Robbins. We will have some traffic monitors as you get closer to direct you where to park.
- Start / Finish Line: We will start and finish in the parking lot at Military Reserve / Dog Park off Mountain Cove Rd, just north of St. Luke’s Hospital in Boise. There will be 2 porta-potties at the start.
- Start Time: The race will start at 6am sharp. We are using chip timing. Intermediate time cutoff is at mile 22 at 2 pm. Considering the construction, please allow a little extra time to get there.
- Pre-race Check-in: You must pick up your race number – with your chip – ON RACE MORNING before you start the race. Check-in is from 445 am– 545 am.
- GREEN Event: The Frenzy is a GREEN race – there will be no paper cups at the aid stations, so if you want drinks other than what is in your handheld or pack, you will need to bring your own personal collapsible cup.
- Headlamps: It will be dark when the race starts. You will need to bring a light to use for about 1.5 hours. If you drop off your light (or anything else) at an aid station, please have your name on it. Anything left at an aid station will be brought to the finish line after the race, after the aid station has shut down. If you leave the finish line area before your items are returned, they will be held at The Pulse Running Store for 2 weeks. We do not mail items to you; you must pick them up, or they will be donated to a local charity.
- Packet Pickup: You may pick up your race packet at PULSE Running & Fitness Shop, on Friday, October 6, from 10am – 6pm. This is only your packet – not your race number. As is tradition with the Frenzy, we do not give race shirts to runners. This year, you will receive a Brooks beanie. You may also pick up your packet on race morning between 445 am – 545 am when you get your bib number.
- Course Marking: The course will be well marked. You will see confidence markers approximately every 1/4 mile. We will use pink, orange, and yellow flagging; written directional signs; LED lights for the morning for approx. the first 6.5 miles
- Trail Guides. Live people (experienced ultrarunners) will be stationed at key junctions to help keep you on the right path.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: When you get up to Ridge Road around mile 11.5, you will turn left and run a mile out and back. There is a checkpoint at the turnaround. At the turnaround, you will pick up an item which you will give back to an aid station worker at mile 13.5. This will indicate that you made it through that checkpoint. If you do not pick up this item, you will be asked to go back and get one.
- Aid Stations: You will have 6 aid stations (mileage listed for these aid stations is approximate). All aid stations will be stocked with potato chips, corn chips, peanut butter pretzels, candy, peanut butter/jelly tortillas,water, orange-flavored Tailwind sports drink, regular Coke, ginger ale, electrolytepills, various brands of gels. Aid stations will be at mile 6.5, 11.5 / 13.5,18, 22, 24, 27.5.
- Runner Safety: Our goal is to keep the runners safe and on the right course. We will have medical personnel, trail guides, and 2 sweeps on the course. The sweeps will follow the last runners. The race course is not closed to the public, so please be mindful that other trail users might be on the course. If you have to drop from the race, you should make every effort to make it to an aid station. If it is not a medical emergency, you may have to wait at the aid station until the aid station workers are finished or until someone can pick you up.
- Medical Issues: If you have any medical issues which require you to have inhalers, meds, etc., please bring them with you.
- Spectator Viewing: Family and friends are encouraged to come out to the start/finish line and cheer for you. They may also drive up Rocky Canyon Road to the designated spectator viewing areas at the aid stations at miles 18 and 22. Parking is limited.
- Awards and Finisher Mugs: When you finish the race, you will receive a unique commemorative finishers’ award – a mug individually handcrafted by local artist and ultrarunner, Kevin Flynn. Because of the widerange of finishing times, overall and age group winners will receive their awards as they finish rather than at an awards ceremony. We will present awards in real time as soon as we have the results calculated.
- Finish Line Food: Finish line food is for the runners. This year we have a food truck for the runners – Pepe’s Taco Truck. Each runner will receive a food ticket when they cross the finish line. There will be meat and veggie options. Spectators may purchase food from Pepe’s for $6 each.
- Race Photos: Jeff Black – trail guide at mile 9.5 – will be taking photos. These photos will be available a few days after the event free of charge.
This is going to be a TERRIFIC day! If this is your first 50K, there is no need to stress about the time cutoff at 2 pm (22 miles). If you keep moving forward and are efficient at the aid stations, you should have no problem with the cutoff.
Enjoy your week of rest! See you on Saturday!